Friday 13 May 2011

David re-writes Billy's 'Midsummer Night's Dream' (or The Rise and Fall of Proculous the Usurper)

In the year 280, Proculous rose up against Emperor Probus (heh) in what is now Lyon, France.  He led an unsucessful uprising and was executed. But that's boring, and has nothing to do with tea...  Or does it?

I'm on a walk through the city on a quest to find mulberries. After wandering around the St. Lawrence Market and Kensington I find myself on Queen Street. David's has released their new summer collection, so I pop in to see what all the fuss is about.

Of their new selection I pick Midsummer Night's Dream (#280 see what I did there?):
“This citrusy-mint tea is refreshingly magical, with sweet apples, cool spearmint, tart gooseberries, orange oil, and petals of marigold and rose. Some say it's a bit of a love potion. Ice it and see. Caffeine-free.”

First thoughts? The scent of spearmint and citrus is almost overpowering. I smelled 3 other teas before this one, went back to smell them again after and couldn't smell anything, the aroma from Midsummer Night's Dream clung to the inside of my nose like the ivy along Burwash Hall at U of T, and almost as beautifully.

After letting it steep the fragrance settles a bit and you can begin to pick out some of the individual ingredients. The orange is still very prevalent, but the marigold and rose starts to come through.

Taking the weather into account I'm having this one hot. Judging by the smell I would expect the flavour to be more citrus, but with the lid on you really taste the gooseberries and apple. Take the lid off though, and the flavours change dramatically. Inhale while you take a sip and you get smacked in the taste buds with the orange and a crisp after taste of mint.

Just about finished now and no, I couldn't find any mulberries; but that's ok – I found something better.

No comments:

Post a Comment